Welcome to the Underwood, Iowa Website
Ordinance 69.10 Parking – SNOW REMOVAL
- No person shall park, abandon or leave unattended any equipment, vehicle, or trailer on any public street, alley, or City-owned off-street parking area during snow removal operations or one of the following times or periods.
- The snow parking ban shall continue from the commencement of snow removal operations to a period of twenty-four (24) hours from cessation of snowfall.
- The twelve (12) hour period beginning one (1) hour after a police officer or City Staff has requested that such vehicle be removed from such street so that the snow currently existing thereon can be removed if such request shall have been made to the owner of such vehicle, to an employee or a partner of such owner, to such owner’s spouse or adult child if he or she resides with such owner, to the person last driving such vehicle or to the person in whose care the vehicle was then entrusted.
- Overnight Snowfall. During said time, no summons shall be issued or vehicle removed or impounded until after eight o’clock (8:00) a.m. where the snowfall began during the nighttime hours.
- If there is an accumulation of sleet, ice, or freezing rain which causes the roads to become hazardous, the above mentioned times or periods are in effect.
- If the National Weather Service predicts sleet, ice, or freezing rain, pre-treatment of the roads may occur if temperatures are conducive for application. The above mentioned times or periods are in effect 12 hours prior to predicted time of event.
- Penalties as stated in Chapter 70.03.
(Code of Iowa, Sec. 321.236[1b] & Sec 321L.4)
Ordinance Chapter 135.12 -Dumping of Snow
135.12 DUMPING OF SNOW. It is unlawful for any person to throw, push, or place or
cause to be thrown, pushed or placed, any ice or snow from private property, sidewalks, or
driveways onto the traveled way of a street or alley so as to obstruct gutters, or impede the
passage of vehicles upon the street or alley or to create a hazardous condition therein; except
where, in the cleaning of large commercial drives in the business district it is absolutely
necessary to move the snow onto the street or alley temporarily, such accumulation shall be
removed promptly by the property owner or agent. Arrangements for the prompt removal of
such accumulations shall be made prior to moving the snow.
(Code of Iowa, Sec. 364.12)
Ordinance Chapter 136.03 – REMOVAL OF SNOW, ICE AND ACCUMULATIONS.
It is the responsibility of the abutting property owners to remove snow, ice and accumulations promptly from sidewalks. If a property owner does not remove snow, ice or accumulations within a reasonable time, the City may do so and assess the costs against the property owner for
collection in the same manner as a property tax. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 364.12[2b & e])
Per Ordinance No. 213 Section 106.08
106.08.01 Fee for Collection. The fee for solid waste collection and disposal service, used or available, is $12.50 per month.
106.08.02 Fee for Extra Container: Should a household require/request an extra container, there will be an additional fee of $6.00 per month.
106.08.03 Fee to replace container that is destroyed or removed from property: The fee to replace a container destroyed or removed from a property is $95.00.
CITIZENS MAKE NOTE: Any extra waste outside or around the container will not be picked up unless the Extra Container Fee has been paid beforehand so please plan accordingly. Both cans must be MTS cans.
Western Iowa Development Association (WIDA)
Underwood and Pottawattamie County Residents:
Interested in getting the all-new, free, county-wide rural newsletter?
Email EricaForWIDA@gmail.com to be on the e-list and
Find the up-to-date Calendar of Events at www.WIDAIowa.org
Animal Control HOTLINE #(712) 366-1143
Dog licenses need to be renewed by March 1, 2020 or a penalty of $10.00 will be assessed. Please stop in or call City Hall at 712-566-2373 for any questions.